Thursday, March 29, 2012

We Won't Come Back; The World Is Calling Out

Adults say the teenage years are the hardest.
The hardest to parent,
The hardest to teach,
The hardest to control.

They say that it is always easier after the teenage years.
The self help books; You know all the bull that first time parents read?
Those books say that we will mature...
And grow into "Fine young ladies and gentlemen."

Woo.

But they never tell you why.
Personally, I've skimmed these books.
Just to see what kind of nonsense is out there..

Here is my theory.

You go off to college when your 18.
Your still a teenager.
You've fought all the wars against your parents.
Or maybe your in the heat of battle.
But, your gone.

We won't come back; the world is calling out.

I can't wait for college.
I can't wait to come home to a hotdog and cheesy egg breakfast.
I can't wait to be the "favorite."
I can't wait till the day that someone is happy to see me walk threw my front door.
I hate being the reason that my family dreads hearing the doorknob turn.
All the problems that we ever had will be left behind us...
Because when time is so limited, you pick your battles and there better be good reason for them.

Durring your 18 years at home,
Tucked away from the world all snug and such...
There is much to fight about.
You can see marraiges fall apart,
You can get a back hand every once-in-awhile.
You can hear your siblings sneaking out their window..
But when your gone, you'll never know.

One of the downsides of leaving is that,
You can no longer protect.
And if you have younger siblings, you know what I'm talking about.
You're the comforter, the one who takes the hardest blow.
You're the one who gets in between your younger sibling and
The darkness...
The monster under the bed...
The bullies..
But one day when you are gone,
You can only lye in bed and hope.
Hope that you raised them well enough to fight on their own.

We won't come back; the world is calling out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment