Friday, March 23, 2012

Animal Shelter

Keep your heart beat steady.
Keep your your workers ready,
ready to put your walls up.
Stay two steps ahead, girl you should know better.

The first time I fell asleep in my boyfriends arms, I woke up completely on the defense.
I snapped at him, asking why he didn't wake me up.
His gaze wavered as if he was hurt by my words.
"I don't know. You seemed to enjoying your dream."

"Today is four months with you!"
When he said this I just looked at him. I'm in a relationship for the long haul.
Four months is nothing.

I find myself to be like a dog. I'm a very loyal companion.
But just like a dog, I don't understand why people choose to hurt me.
Why do they leave?
Couldn't they see I loved them?
I enjoyed their companionship.

So, I can take things one of two ways. 
I can lay down, roll over, and shake the abuse off,
and come back twice as forgiving and loving.

Or I could keep it mentally noted,
always on my guard, a low growl creeping up in the back of my throat,
ready. Ready for anyone to raise their hand to smack me.  

I pick number two.

No comments:

Post a Comment