Friday, July 13, 2012

Don't Look Back

You walked through the streets today,
Wearing the same pair of jeans you were the day that you got kicked out..
Your face is dirty; a mix of tears and sweat.
Things will get better,
So don't look back.

I've found that the less money you have, the happier you are.
I've come to realize the difference between what I want and what I need.
That doesn't always stop me from obtaining what I want.
And when people ask,
"Do you need some money?"

I smile and say,
"Nah. Just pray for me."

I admit,
It's hard.
But it is your choice how much harder it gets on you.
You understand?

Having bare feet is one of the things that I used to love,
And wearing tennis shoes with an everyday outfit was taboo.
But these days, no shoes results in rocks and glass in your feet..

You do what you have to do.

There is a place in town,
Where there plaques with writing on them pined onto the brick walls.
They say things like,
"Spa."
"Backyard."
"Kitchen."
And, "Bedroom."

It's just a field behind a beat up 7-11,
But that is usually where you will find me. 

I like to imagine,
That these places exist.
The neighborhood kids like to play along too.

Asked one of the older kids,
She was probably eight or nine,
"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

She told me that she didn't know.
But when she did know,
"I'll take it, and run with it."

That's how I see my life,
Right now it may just look like a collection of different fights.
Or a bunch of different jerky twist and car crashes.
But that's life.

You take it,
Run with it,
And don't look back.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment