Saturday, July 28, 2012

And He Told Me We'd Name Her Ireland

I stood by my kitchen sink,
I scrounged through the empty drawers.

I heated up another night's dinner consisting of Top Ramen.  
I prayed, "God, don't let him hit me again. Please. Thank you. Amen."

I remember the days when I believed in love,
But it's alright.
Don't worry.
I'm fine.

I remember laying on the beach,
Two couples kissing in harmony.

I remember the touch of his hands, Dear.
I remember him wanting me.

I asked him, "What if I get pregnant?"
He said,"Don't worry, Baby. It's fine!"
And he told me we'd name her Ireland.

I really thought we had a future,
But it turns out our relationship was just an example of internal destruction of Cupid's architecture. 

He left me alone,
And I thought, "Just let me die here."
There was a baby inside of me.

I sat in the heat of day,
All my options spiraling around in my head.
I knew that I had made my own bed.

He left me for some life; a life that stayed very near.
This life came with a slut named Layla.
Days later, I wore a black veil.

It turns out that's just how our story turned out; a broken fairy tale.

Everything I knew had been turned upside down.
So, I went to go jump of a bridge.
There was a man running in the fog.
But I couldn't see him, because of all the smog.

In the distance I heard, "Don't worry, Baby. It's fine!"
While I felt two arms wrap around me.
I knew, I wanted him to be mine.

He said, "I've always loved the name, Ireland."
And that was good enough for me.

This man, he taught me how to dance.
And I couldn't believe my luck now.

I'd been given another chance.

He wasn't the man of my dreams,
I'll make that very clear.
But if I wished it to be so; I wished very hard,
It was as if life had dealt me all the right cards.

When the times get rough,
I close my eyes and think.
I think about my future.
And I think of my unborn baby girl.

Ireland is the place that I have always wanted to be at.
I want to admire all the gingerly hair.
I will run with the dogs that hunt wolves. 

The gentle man told me to keep my head up.
While he sang me down to sleep.
I thought I'd never see the day.

So...

I'll name my baby Ireland.
That way I'll be able to see the land of a thousand welcomes everyday.
I'll greet my infant with joy.

The lad reassured my fears that everything I thought I knew was wrong.
But he said,"Baby please try and see, that I'm going to try my best for you and me."
I needed to be Wych Elk tree strong.

I prayed to God.
He communicated to me that we will one day move into the highlands.

I don't think about him much these days
Because he doesn't mean a thing anymore.

That name sounds so beautiful.

It's funny how I once imagined him to be my future husband.
It was on that night when I slept on his chest; when I held his hand in my hand.

And he told me we'd name her Ireland.








No comments:

Post a Comment