Monday, May 14, 2012

Closing Time

Go to a restaurant.
Not a fancy one;
Just a restaurant.
Wear something nice.
A pair of heels will do.
Or maybe a tie for the lovely gentleman reading..

Go ahead and sit down, Why not grab a table?

Ask for a glass of water.
Be polite to the waiter, please.
Tug at your tie,
Chip away at your nail polish.
Don't order. Just wait.

Sit at the booth. counter, wherever you are.
Stay there idly for about 25 minutes.
That's how long I waited.
I waited for you to show up...

People start to stare,
Some leave,
Some are checking you out.
But they are all wondering...
Why are you alone?

And I begin to wonder the same thing.

This has happened to some people before,
And it really bites.
I didn't think I would become on of them.

I never thought I would be just a statistic.

  • 8.3 million people under 18 have had serious suicidal thoughts in the past year.
  • In the U.S., it's estimated that one in every 200 girls between 13 and 19 years old, cut themselves regularly.
  •  7.7 million people have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. 

But everyone should love a bad pick up line.
 I do.

Go ahead and order now.
If your looking for a suggestion, try a chocolate shake.
Man, I love shakes.
I'm a slow sipper I have to admit.
20 minutes.
Look at the clock.
Stare at the people.
Try and not be awkward.
Waitress is getting a bit fed up,
She's trying to get you out of there by visiting your table regularly.

It's almost closing time,
And you've stood me up.
A whole hour and 23 minutes late to be exact.

I'd learned along time ago not to depend on others.
That it's OK to be alone.
But I love people.
I love.


But I'm just fine alone;
Alone to my thoughts.

Most of the time.

God, I miss you....

I would start coming back to that same place.
Little hole-in-the-wall place. 
The lady started to remember my name, and order.
Chocolate shake of course.

I ignored everyone.
Kept to myself and read.
One day an elder man sat down at my table.
He was nice.
Didn't say much.
Just read beside me.
And that is what we did.
Till one day...
He didn't come back.

I always wondered what happened to the man who would sit at my table just around closing time.
It's closing time.
But stay.
Stay listen to the people behind the counter.
One of the younger girls is very serious and focused.
The other looks to be the best friend.
She works the drive thru; always yelling over the old CD's that she refuses to turn lower on the player.


It's time to admit your gone.
It's time to admit that change is not coming tonight.
It's time to admit your friend is gone.
Were you not worth it?

But it's closing time.
And everyone is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment